Thursday 26 March 2015

Artist Emulation




After producing this artist copy, I decided that I wanted to emulate it also. I decided to recreate another portrait in a similar style using the same technique as I had done to copy it. As I wanted the emulation to be relevant to my product, I decided that I would do a digital portrait of the Corpse Bride. I thought I would combine elements of the two, resulting in Tim Burton's design of Emily (the Corpse Bride) in the style of WojtekFus. 


I started off by sketching out the basic colours of the main portrait. I did this over a layer with the original sketch. The only thing that I don't like about the colour scheme is that there isn't much contrast, as all the tones are similar, just altered in saturation and luminosity. I think that this piece would benefit from some warmer tones to contrast with the cool shades of blue.


This is how it looked after I had blended the colours and altered the tone slightly with some hints of warmer colours. To alter the tone, I created an over lay layer, set it to a low opacity and worked some colours on top. After I had achieved my desired affect, I merged it with the layer below so that it was on the same layer as the digital painting. This way I could blend it in with the other colours using an oil brush set to a low paint intensity.


After blending the colours, I decided to add a basic background as a base. That way, I know what I was working with and what colours would look the most successful. In the end I decided to use oranges and yellows as they are the complimentary colours to blue and purple. 


I added her hair and the basic positioning of the flowers so that I could get a greater idea of colour and positioning of shapes.


I decided that the orange was too top heavy, and made the piece slightly unbalanced. To counter this I decided to add orange fragments to the bottom of the piece.
To get other fragments through out the piece, I merged all of the layers and duplicated it. With the duplicate copy, I then put a glass blur filter over it. Using a line selection tool, I then selected fragment-like pieces of the layer that I wanted to keep, and then inverted the selection (ctrl + shift + i) and removed the excess.


I added some glowing pieces to the final design. I wanted to tie in the theme of the moths/dissolving of Emily, so I set a glow over a large portion of the side, and had pieces of her design glow and fragment away.

Over all I am pretty happy with this emulation, however I Think that it could be improved by using an original design for Emily.
I will definitely look into designing a new look for her, as I am not keen on using Tim Burton's famous design in my product.


No comments:

Post a Comment