Thursday 16 April 2015

Final Cover Scamping




These were the initial scamps that started the final development of my final cover design, I wanted to digitally paint an illustration of the main character, and include references to the book.
I started off with a very rough sketch of a basic pose I wanted on the cover, and then I developed it into a more detailed scamp. Under the scamp, I did a very rough monotone painting, so that I could get a rough idea of shape, so that I may later work into it.
I think I will make some minor changes to the pose and expression so that the character is given more 'life'. I will also change the petal-like fragments that come from her (as seen below) into moths, as they are more book accurate.


I started off with a monochrome digital painting of the character, so that I can set a top layer to 'Overlay', and make colour adjustments on a 'multiply' layer. This allowed the colour to be transparent and sit over the monochromatic painting. This gives the darker colours a less saturated look.
Next time I will probably try and paint her using the oil brush tool, and working in a low saturated colour palette, as opposed to a monochromatic, 




No comments:

Post a Comment