Friday 17 April 2015

Final Portrait Process


I started off with a basic sketch of the portrait that I wanted to do. I did it on a background with low luminosity, as this allowed for clearer painting, and made it easier to judge colour differences in tone.











































I then painted under the sketch in a monochromatic style so that I could get a better idea of what tones would fall where. It also gave a base for shape and gave me more confidence to work over than if I were to try with the oil paint brush tool immediately.








































On a layer above, I started to apply paint using the oil brush tool, blending and altering the colour as I went. This was so I could really get the right shapes of the face.
















































I duplicated the layer with the painted face, and flipped it so that it was the opposite side of the face. I then proceeded to add details like teeth and eyes, making slight differences between the two sides to avoid an overly symmetrical look, as this would look highly unnatural, and too ‘perfect’
















































I really like how this technique worked out, as I don’t think I would of been able to achieve such a range in tone from the colours without first painting monochromatically under the sketch. I think that it is a very successful technique, and it is one I will definitely be using in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment