Sunday 26 April 2015

Final Piece : Front cover process







































I started off using the left half of the portrait I had painted. I thought it looked more worn and 'dead', and so would make for a better cover. However, I then thought that it'd be difficult to connect both the back and the front if the portrait was to end abruptly.
To solve this, I then moved it so that the right side was resting on the front cover, and the left side on the back cover.





















After swapping the sides over, I then duplicated the portrait so that I could drag the face out wider. Even though it makes it look misshapen on the plan, when printed out and folded into shape, it will work better as there's an equal amount of face on both sides.















































Originally I had designed it so that the title of the book rested on the bottom of the cover. However, I felt that it made the white space ineffective and unsuccessful. It made the cover look still and boring.
To adjust this, I rearranged the type positioning.









































This is how it looked after I had repositioned the text. I much preferred it in this position, but I thought that the white contrasted too much with the black, and took focus away from the portrait.
To counterbalance this, I colour selected a muted colour from the veil, so that it still contrasted with the black, but wasn't so bright that it took away from the main illustration.








































This is how the front cover looked after adjusting the colour of the type. I feel that it is much nicer on the eyes, and makes the the typeface easier to read.
I also think that the composition is much more successful than how it was before hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment